Thursday, March 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday: the first piece I made!


The first piece I made was a full-circle skirt. A quick run-down using the HSF stat list:

Fabric: A gray synthetic knit purchased from Wal-Mart. I purchased probably four yards. This was obviously before I was concerned with historical accuracy, but it's so soft and drapes so nicely that I still love it and still wear it. Later I replaced the bias tape drawstring waistband with a fitted broadcloth waistband, wide enough so the skirt doesn't fall out the bottom of the bodice.

Pattern: Self-drafted from my own measurements. I would like to apologize to my high school geometry teacher for not paying attention in class, because I have certainly used a lot of geometry in sewing!

Year: Not meant to be any specific year or time period; I just wanted a full-circle skirt!

Notions: Black bias tape at first. Later, grommets and black shoelace for the fitted waistband. Thread.

How historically accurate is it? Not at all!

Hours to complete: I don't remember. Even now I'm terrible at keeping track.

First worn: To the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha, WI, USA in 2007, I think.

Total cost: Couldn't even begin to guess, but not expensive by any means.

Despite being a completely novice attempt at Ren Faire garb, I still like it. I've worn it many times. It took me a while to draft the pattern using my measurements and geometry, but looking back I'm proud of myself for managing to do it all successfully on my first piece. I still love full-circle skirts, historically accurate or not, and have a few pieces planned based on the full-circle idea. Understanding the geometry has also helped me draft other pieces yet to be seen!

More photos: These photos were taken in January 2011 at my friend Susie's house. We and another friend like to have medieval-themed dinners.

The fabric drapes so beautifully. I'm wearing it here with a purchased blouse and bodice. The cap is actually a sunbonnet with the brim turned back halfway and the strings tied at the nape of my neck.

The apron is a quarter-circle panel of unbleached muslin. It was a test piece for the full-circle pattern, turned into an apron by hemming and adding two muslin strips. The curved waistline prevents it from fitting awkwardly.

The shawl is two yards of unhemmed plaid cotton flannel from Jo-Ann Fabrics.

After the addition of a fitted waistband so it doesn't slip from beneath the bodice. It is shown here over hoops on my dressform.

2 comments:

  1. What a cute faire outfit! Even though it's not historically accurate, if more people at the faire dressed like you it would lend a greater element of authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've since been more strict with my historical accuracy, but on hot faire days, you can't beat the basic wench bodice and skirt for comfort!

      Delete