Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Guy's Medieval Tunic & Fancypants Gear

I recently made my guy a medieval tunic. Here's a quick rundown of the stats, followed by photos and additional notes:

Fabric: Linen/rayon blend. I dislike the rayon content, but it was the perfect color and I have yet to find any confidence in dyeing fabric.

Pattern: Custom drafted to his measurements from Drea Leed's Elizabethan Smock Pattern Generator

Year: Nonspecific, early medieval.

Notions: Thread.

How historically accurate is it? 50% perhaps. The pattern is accurate, but the fabric and thread have synthetic content, and it was machine-sewn.

Hours to complete: Too many. Underarm gussets are the bane of my existence.

First worn: Wolfpack Season Opener, February 2014.

Total cost: Don't remember. He paid for the fabric, and I rarely count thread in the cost unless it is purchased specifically for a piece.


Worn here with armor he made and painted himself (most of it). He's quite the talented gentleman.


The fabric lays nicely, irons nicely, and doesn't shift around much, so it was easy to cut. However, it frayed a lot, so in the future I will flat-fell the seams. I used Fray Check on the neckline until I put the trim on. There was a bit of a time-crunch before Season Opener since I was having issues with the underarm gussets. I'm not sure where I was going wrong, but they weren't fitting properly. The only thing I can think is that I wasn't using the correct seam allowance. I cut them according to pattern and followed the directions, but I still had to pull them out like four times. I hate underarm gussets, even though the pattern has them as two triangles to each gusset, which are much easier to put in rather than one diamond shape.


When we got the fabric, there was less than a yard left after what I guesstimated we needed, which would be sold as a remnant for 50% discount.
Clerk: "Would you like the rest as—"
Me: "Yes. Whoops, I should probably ask the guy who's paying for it."
My guy: "Go ahead. Whatever you want."
Me: "I'm keeping you."

All photos in this post were taken by myself.  Here's a few more of him in his full getup:


He made the pants himself. If I recall correctly, he made the tabard as well. He made his leather armor, mask, weapons, and shield and painted it all with his personal symbols.


I am quite jealous of his painting talent. For anyone who's wondering, he uses liquid pigment.


Better view of all his fancypants painted armor.

I've started a Wish List for his garb, in addition to a Wish List for my garb. His Wish List includes fancypants garb for feasts, which may or may not be the Eastern European garb he wants, inspired by Vlad the Impaler. Our garb arrangement is pretty much, "Here's a few ideas of what I want; go nuts." We'll see what I come up with... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment