Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Crafty Wench Costumes: Where it's okay to be 500 years behind in fashion!

I follow a ton (in the triple-digits) of sewing and costuming blogs, so I figured, yeah, sure, why not have my own?

I'm Amelia, a.k.a. Millie. I started sewing when I was little, and I've never grown out of playing dress-up! Now I sew for myself, friends, and family.

My experience is mainly in medieval and Renaissance. I am branching out into more time periods, styles, and fields of costuming such as hats and jewelry. I'm also putting more effort into making things historically accurate.

As the blog progresses, I'll chronicle my progress in those areas, share tips and tricks, stories of past experiences, humor, photos, and probably a fair amount of grumbling.

In addition, I have joined the Historical Sew Fortnightly 2014, run by the lovely Dreamstress, Leimomi Oakes.

However, I am terrible with time-management and I am in the middle of a move, sooo... yeah, I've finished nothing so far. But I am determined to do something!

Current projects in progress:
  • Civil War era chemise for vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I also have a cat. As I was saying...
  • Civil War era chemise for a local Civil War event in July. I am making a day ensemble and a ballgown ensemble.
  • Floofy petticoat for CW ballgown.
  • Green linen medieval dress.
  • White poly/cotton medieval dress, to be dyed red (mainly testing a pattern).

I am also getting back into the medieval foam fighting/LARP scene. I was active a few years ago but fell out of it. Thanks to my wonderful guy, I'm getting back to it. I've outfitted him with a tunic so far, with more pieces planned, and I "need" to make myself new garb. So, while it seems like a fairly short list of projects, it doesn't include my Wish List or projects planned but not actually started.


Fair warning, I am kinda tech-stupid so this blogging thing may take a minute to learn!

Alrighty, back to sewing my chemise! I'm starting to feel the Zen of hand-sewing...

xo
Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment